Thursday, March 11, 2010

STILL MORE DYEING

I'd almost forgotten how addictive dyeing can be! Our snow has mostly gone but I still had some dyes mixed and sitting, hopefully waiting ... but I didn't want to dye any more fabric. Aha! I wonder what would happen if I tried dyeing some Warm and Natural batting? It's all cotton, so the dyes should work ...

So I cut up a piece of the W&N batting that I had lying around and ended up with four smallish pieces and two larger ones:






















I was a little worried about how they would wash out so I did them in the machine, after extensive rinsing, on the gentle cycle and dried them using medium heat. They not only survived intact but left hardly any lint in the trap in the drier.

I really like the rich colors -- but have no idea as yet just what I will do with this somewhat different hand dyed 'fabric'.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sherryl said...

Very interesting and nice results Jacquie. I have been moving away from W&N.. it seems to create lots of lint and it has bearded on my in the last few quilts. I wonder how it will do when it is dyed... although I wonder if I wash it first.... probably not happening, I am lazy..it might not beard.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Katherine McNeese said...

OH WOW!!!
these are great!
I wonder if they could be felted?
or not: use as scarves, lap quilts, table cloth?
Katherine

2:59 PM  
Blogger Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Very nice colors Jacquie, what a great experiment :)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Rose said...

I dyed some W & N some years ago to use in a quilt - the top was pieced with sheer and semi sheer white fabrics using a Korean seam. The colour of the batting provided a great backdrop so that the seams were emphasised, as in Korean pojagi (wrapping cloths).
Liz
Queanbeyan, NSW, Aust

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home