Saturday, March 24, 2007







QUILTS? WELL -- FUN ANYWAY!

One of the quilts in my Green Series has rather gotten away from me -- at least as far as parts of it are concerned. My simple abstract tree of equilateral triangles wasn't satisfied just to be decorated with quartz chips. It demanded a trunk and borders too and they turned out to be embroidered in various yarns and threads with beads added. The piece has not been layered for quilting but I do feel that I can show it off a bit as it is!

That was so much fun that I have now embarked on a series in black, grey and white using various print fabrics as bases and more yarns, threads and beads in these colors than I realized I had -- especially the beads!
These are about 8x10" in size and the first one has been done with no preliminary planning -- just made it up as I went along. I am now trying to decide if it needs a border and, if so -- what? Or maybe I should just bind it with the base fabric?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for a narrow border. I would choose a print with all the values from black to white to kind of echo the content.
:Diane

8:04 AM  
Blogger Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Hi Jacquie, if you're asking about the green tree (which I LOVE!), I think it only needs a binding. The black-and-white piece ... also very cool ... could use a border, IMHO. I'm envisioning maybe a B&W or B&Red checkboard border? Just something to stop the eye from falling off the edge ...

As always, great work!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacquie,

It has somewhat of a reptilian head look about it with the black bead near the center being the eye, and the black bead in the lower left being a nostril.

I think it would benefit from some bordering. Perhaps a narrow "stopper" border in black or something unexpected like red or..., and then a thin black and white border to pick up the black and white of the twisted yarn in the upper right of the piece, and then a final border in the background color.

It looks like you had great fun doing this.
Sherry in central CA

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home